Thursday, December 08, 2005

Good Night, and Good Luck

If you ever trusted in the media to act in the interest of the greater good, then you may be disappointed by the sensationalism that has run rampant through the industry. But there are still beacons of hope in young journalists entering the work force.
As a young journalist myself, I see goodness in many of my peers and that makes me optimistic. To me and others my age, journalism is less about the byline and more about enriching the mind of readers.
I’ve questioned the validity of blogs as a form of high-quality media, but I’ve realized that this new media will bring innovation to journalism. The movie Good Night, and Good Luck tells the story of Edward R. Murrow and his fearless reporting of the McCarthy hearings in the 1950s. Murrow and his colleagues are prime examples of pure journalism.
As I left the theater, I felt invigorated. Although it is discouraging to see many major newspaper companies losing readership and enforcing hiring freezes, the story of Murrow showed me that there will always be a need for quality, ethical journalism.
After seeing Murrow innovate journalism in the early 20th century, I am confident that there will be similar innovations in this century. If you too feel the need for a picture of great journalism, go see Good Night, and Good Luck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home